Warson Woods is an exclusive enclave bordering Rock Hill and Glendale. A city of fewer than 2,000 people in an area of .58 square miles, Warson Woods offers its residents membership in a close-knit community with secluded, tree-lined streets. The city boasts a proud history and is an established leader among St. Louis’ suburban developments. Warson Woods occupies a premier location within St. Louis County. The Manchester Road corridor provides easy access to hundreds of businesses, with many concentrated in the retail and service sectors. The corridor ensures that all of the amenities of St. Louis City and St. Louis County can be found just a short distance away from the prestigious neighborhoods of Warson Woods.
The town of Royal Oak was founded in 1936, when residents of Andrew Drive and Inter Drive, then in the city of St. Louis, incorporated in order to have a greater voice in their local affairs. In 1941, residents voted to change the town’s name to Warson Woods. Warson Woods quickly became known as a luxurious refuge from the city. Its prestigious Bennett Hills section of was built in 1950. This neighborhood featured homes such as the McManus Estate, which included a horse race track, lakes, and a forest. The Warson Village Shopping Center, constructed in 1948, was the first strip shopping center built in St. Louis County. The small village grew as St. Louis City residents sought out this prestigious suburb. In 1957, Webster Groves became a 4th class city in order to increase tax revenue and establish local control over public affairs. Commercial development ceased from 1957 until 1994. In that time, the city of Warson Woods reaffirmed its commitment to residential development and community involvement.
In 2016, homes in Warson Woods sold for a median price of $430,000. This figure places Warson Woods among the most affluent municipalities in St. Louis County, and in the state of Missouri as a whole. This figure demonstrates an increase of 35% over the last 5 years when compared with the 2011 median of $323,500. Throughout its history, the city of Warson Woods has retained its commitment to detached, single family homes. There are no condos, villas, or co-ops in the municipality. Subdivisions such as Biscayne Heights and Manchester Forest are spectacular residential communities. Warson Woods residents share a commitment to maintain this genteel community’s natural beauty. Neighbors marvel at each other’s colorful gardens and manicured lawns. Homes are often accentuated by stately brick or impeccable shingling, and serve as visual markers of their owners’ success.
Old Warson Country Club typifies the community’s beautiful, expansive surroundings. The club, opened in 1954, has gained national acclaim for its exquisite golf course. Old Warson hosted the prestigious Ryder Cup in 1971, won by a United States team featuring Arnold Palmer and Jack Nicklaus. Guests and members also enjoy Old Warson’s world-class pool, superb dining, and collegial atmosphere. Those searching for further scenic landscapes seek out Royal Oaks Park. Royal Oaks occupies the former site of the historic McManus Estate. This historic park houses tennis courts, playgrounds, and a public pool. Its parklands also host Warson Woods’ annual Fall Festival. The festival attracts thousands of visitors each year. Local restaurants ensure that festival goers are well-fed. Roller coasters provide exhilaration and enjoyment for adults and children alike.
Warson Woods is served by the Kirkwood and Webster Groves school districts, known for their quality teaching. Rohan Woods School provides elementary students with a secular, private education and a proven pathway to future academic success. Parents looking for faith-based schooling seek out the acclaimed Ste. Genevieve DuBois Catholic School, recognized as a “Blue Ribbon School” by the US Department of Education.